A*STAR Research Attachment Programme
A*STAR Research Attachment Programme (ARAP) is a collaboration between A*STAR and overseas universities that provides support for PhD students to carry out research attachments at A*STAR research institutes (RIs) and consortia in Singapore.
A typical model would have a PhD student who is matriculated at the overseas university, jointly supervised by a University Professor and an A*STAR researcher, doing a minimum of 1 year, up to a maximum of 2 years of research in an A*STAR RI in Singapore. As A*STAR is not an academic institution, applications for ARAP are open throughout the year.
PhD students from non-Partner Universities may come on the ARAP-Individual, which works at a researcher-to-researcher level of collaboration. The university professor will need to identify an A*STAR researcher to collaborate on a project and to jointly supervise a PhD student for the collaborative project.
The Award provides a stipend for living in Singapore, consisting of:
- Monthly stipend of SGD 2,500 for the period that the student is based at the A*STAR RI, up to a maximum of 2 years
- One-time airfare grant of SGD 1,500
- One-time settling-in allowance of SGD 1,000 provided that the student spends at least 1 year at A*STAR
- Medical insurance
- Conference allowance
- PhD students may participate in this programme if their home university supervisor has a collaboration with an A*STAR researcher
- Open for applications by international students
- Bachelor’s degree with at least a Second Class (Upper) Honours or equivalent
The above eligibility criteria are not exhaustive. A*STAR may include additional selection criteria based on prevailing scholarship policies.These policies may be amended from time to time without notice.
The student can apply by contacting the coordinator of the RI of choice and seek vacancy. It would be helpful toidentify a supervisor from the student’s university who may collaborate and work with a researcher in one of the A*STAR Research Institutes to apply for this programme.
List of A*STAR Research Institutes (RIs)
List of A*STAR RI coordinators
The A*STAR RI will nominate the selected PhD student for the ARAP. The RI coordinator would request for the following documents to be submitted:
- ARAP (Individual) Nomination Form
- PhD Matriculation letter
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- English Translated Bachelor and Master Transcripts and Certificates
- Copy of Identity Card/Passport
Once the student is awarded, he/she may begin the attachment at the A*STAR Research Institute.
More information about the program could be found in the following website: http://www.a-star.edu.sg/ARAP
For enquiries, please contact Ms Joanna Ng at joanna(#underscore#)ng(#at#)a(#hyphen#)star(#dot#)edu.sg
In parallel, if you are interested, please also send an e-mail to STINT to apply for a scholarship within the Capstone Awards programme. This application to STINT and questions about the programme can be addressed to Agneta Granlund, e-mail agneta.granlund(at)stint.se phone +46 8 671 19 92.